It was on this day, September 13th, in 1609 that Henry Hudson began his exploration of the river that would one day bear his name. Before he ascended the estuary though, Hudson stopped at a small freshwater spring in what is now Atlantic Highlands to collect water for his ship the Half Moon. The spring, now known as Henry Hudson Springs, is located on a steep wooded hillside on Bayside Drive. In 1830 a man named Louis Desperaux installed a pipeline from the spring down to the bay and began charging ship captains from the vast New England whaling fleet 5¢ per barrel for water. The spring continues to spew forth today for thirsty travelers, though the city health department has posted a sign stating that the water is unsafe for human consumption.